Sure, you could whip up a 6 course meal, but sometimes, you just need an easy, brainless recipe that is guaranteed to be a success with the family. Macaroni and cheese is the best option! We found the formula to the perfect mac and cheese which lets you customize using whatever short pasta you like, and additional ingredients like vegetables and meat.
Here’s the gist of it:
- Boil macaroni or short pasta of your choice in salted water.
- Make a roux with equal parts butter and flour. Add eight times the amount of hot milk. (You can also use a stick of butter and half a cup of flour.) Whisk until roux is smooth, barely simmering, and coats the back of a spoon.
- Season roux with salt and any other flavorings (nutmeg, mustard, paprika, etc.) and add grated cheese to your liking.
- Add any other cooked meat or vegetables at this point (greens, shredded meat, other vegetables, etc.)
- You’re done!
- Optional: For a baked style, transfer to a casserole dish, top with desired bread topping (bread chunks, panko, Italian breadcrumbs, etc.), and bake at 375F for 30 minutes until browned on top.