Summertime means it’s time for outdoor picnics! We like to serve these at outdoor parties and where there will be lots of people because they’re so easy to make.
These are made from sliced up hot dog wieners, vegetable oil, hamburger buns, and whatever condiments you favor on your regular burgers.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line your baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or foil.
- To cut wieners so they will cook into “spiders”, begin about an inch down from one end of each wiener, use small sharp knife to cut along the length of the wiener into halves, then make two lengthwise cuts into each half, making 6 “legs” total. Try to make each leg the same thickness. The wieners should be intact at one end and have with 6 legs dangling from it.
- Put sliced wieners in bowl. Drizzle with vegetable oil (1 tsp for every 4 wieners) and toss to coat wieners.
- Splay wieners onto lined baking sheets by spreading “legs” out like spokes from the intact end of the wiener. You can fit 4 to 5 wieners onto each baking sheet. Bake on middle racks of oven for 6 minutes, or until legs curl up and wieners look lightly roasted.
- Tuck wieners into hamburger buns and serve.
Guaranteed hit with the kids!
We found the recipe here.