Do you remember our Magic Ice kids activity? This one is more or less the same, except you take a whole chunk of ice with treasure buried inside of it. The kids can chip away at the block to discover the treasures, or find creative ways on uncovering their prizes. A great outdoor summer activity!
Here’s what you need to get started:
- plastic container or bowl
- small toys: plastic animals or dinosaurs, tops, rubber balls, shells, coins (for older children), etc
- optional: ice cube tray, food coloring and water to make colored ice
- warm water, spray bottles, paintbrushes, salt, a hammer –anything that you or your child may think of that could be used to get the toys out of the ice block
And the instructions:
- (Optional) Make and freeze colored ice cubes using the food coloring and water
- Fill the plastic container with an inch of water. Add a few toys and some colored ice cubes. Freeze the container.
- When the first layer is frozen solid, add more water and a few more toys and ice cubes. Repeat this process until your container is full and you have a solid block of ice. It may take a couple of days to create your ice block.
- Remove the ice block from the plastic container.
- Give the kids some of the supplies for excavating the toys from of the ice: spray bottles, paintbrushes, spoons and water. Wait until later for the salt and hammer (supervised!)
We first saw this awesome summer activity here.