Now THIS is a game changer! This is a clever way to make use of waste – who knew the rinds could be reused to make something sweet and lovely? Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb watermelon skin (green rind is peeled, white skin is chopped in cubes)
- 10 oz. golden caster sugar (or substitute with super fine sugar, ground until fine in the food processor)
- 4 limes, halved and thinly sliced
To make the jam is only 3 easy steps:
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a container, cover with cling film, and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Cook the mixture in a non-reactive saucepan over low heat
for 50 minutes or until the watermelon skin turns translucent. Make sure the sugar melts before it boils.
3. Pour into sterilized jars, seal and let cool. Store in the refrigerator. It should keep unopened for several months.