This is a fun activity to get the kids excited for autumn. And acorns are in abundance around this time so collecting them should be extra fun outdoors!
You’ll need the following:
- Acorn caps
- Elmers School glue
- Rice, beans, playdough, etc – something to hold your caps secure.
For this activity:
- Pick out your favorite acorn caps. Make sure the insides of the caps are free from dust and debris.
- Using your markers, color the inside of each cap. If you want a bright, jewel tone for your finished acorn cap, color the entire inside leaving no space blank. If you want a pastel shade, don’t press as hard, or worry too much about getting every little space covered.
- Once your acorn caps are all colored, place them in your rice, or beans, or play dough.
- Fill each acorn cap up to the rim with white school glue.
- Allow your acorns to dry over night. Ours needed close to 20 hours to dry completely.
- When the glue dries it forms a hard enamel like coating over the colored part of the acorn cap, allowing the color to really shine through.
This idea was first seen here.